Thursday, January 27, 2011

hottest 10/100...

Happy “the day after” Australia Day!

I love Australia (not the part where the English invaded) but more the celebrations and fun that takes place. One of the ‘hot’ things that happened yesterday (it was 40 degrees in Sydney) was Triple J’s Hottest 100… and boy was it hot. Every year Triple J (which is a radio station that usually plays alternative music, Australian artists and new tunes) counts down the Hottest 100 songs from the previous year voted by listeners on Australia Day. This year there were a few surprises, upsets and “yeah we knew that” moments. Here are the Top 10 and what I thought about them.

10. Mark Ronson & The Business Intl. - Somebody To Love Me (Ft. Boy George & Andrew Wyatt).In the 80’s Boy George asked “do you really want to hurt me?” and in 2010 he was looking for “somebody to love him”… He really has no luck in love. When I first heard this song I thought it was Boy George’s tragic come back, but after a few more listens I loved it, Mark Ronson is amazing! I met him a few years ago and the guy is so shy, you would never expect it, so I suppose I have a soft spot for his work. Definitely worthy of a top 20 spot, not sure of if this would have been in my top 10.



9. Art Vs. Science - Magic Fountain
This reminds me of a techno Presets cover… which is a good thing but I’m not a fan of this one… sure it’s worth a mention in the top 100, just not this close to the top…total upset!



8. The Wombats - Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves)
Another cool track from the English indie band’s second album, it only made it to 33 on the Aria charts but us Aussies thought it was a top tenner in 2010.




7. Cee Lo Green – F*ck You!
I really thought this would nab the number 1 spot but I was so off the mark, maybe because they over played it on commercial radio listeners rebelled? Mr TMF and I do a great cover of this whilst on the road, he does lead vocals, I do back up. It’s such a fun song!

Warning video contains course language…




6. Adrian Lux - Teenage Crime
Makes me wanna get up and dance… this was one of my fave’s in 2010!



5. Boy & Bear - Fall At Your Feet
This cover of Fall at you feet by Australian band Crowded House is just beautiful… I think, don’t do a cover unless you’re going to make it better than the original (The Crowdies fans will kill me for that). Check out the original here.




4. Birds Of Tokyo – Plans
These Aussie guys successfully released their third album in 2010, the self titled album was their highest selling and to make things EVEN better it reached number 2 on the Aria charts. When Plans was released I loved it straight away (it would have been my number one – maybe… I think). I saw them play it acoustic at GQ Men of The Year awards in November and fell in love again.



3. Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Dance The Way I Feel
2010 was meant to be the year for Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, with three singles released and their debut album due for release in October this new English synthpop group was set to hit the top of the charts. However the suicide of lead singer Charles Haddon (22) after a performance at Pukkelpop, Belgium in August put a question mark next to the group’s future. I love this song and I really hope Ou Est Le Swimming Pool can produce what they have done without Charles.



2. Little Red - Rock It
This ‘old-fashioned rock and roll’ Melbourne band was first on Triple J’s Unearthed in 2005 and due to popular demand has released two albums since. This song makes me feel so free and happy, it’s a great pick-me-up! These guys deserve the number 2 spot cred.



1. Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane
2010 was definitely the year of The Stone’s (not the English rock band), another lot called Angus and Julia Stone. In 2010 they had the highest selling album in Australia and took home three ARIA’s, Aussies love them! I like them too, but not so sure this song is worthy of the number one spot. However with 1.5 million votes, Triple J listeners thought it was. Maybe it was the follow on from winning single of the year. What do you think?



Sorry about the long post, but once I started I couldn’t stop… in all I was pretty happy with the top ten…you can re-visit the count down here

What were your 2010 loves and upsets?

1 comment:

Flashes of Style said...

Thanks for sharing all of this lovely music! <3